Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Working Week

My name is Lisa, I'm 21 years old, and I confess... I am hapless when it comes to a working week.

Since being stripped of our evenings and weekends (minus solitary Sundays), I've since come to better appreciate something that I'd not before truly understood.

In my family life, people work pretty hard. They do what they need to, working long hours, weekends, all the rest of it. The hectic nature of their schedules has always typified the uncertainty of their so-called "job security."

While I'd always recognized their rights to a more stable circumstance, one thing I'd never before been able to rationalize. "If I worked that hard," I've often thought, "then I would take my Sunday and do something joyous with my little leisure time."

While I still think that's certainly the way to go, I can better understand how ongoing fatigue can, despite best efforts, put you into survival mode... "Onwards, onwards, nearly there, don't think too much, just do it..."

"The human race indulges its (mortality) on Sundays, on which day people all over the world tend to be sleepy and subliminally irritable... noting that man was especially fragmented on Sundays. Not really present... For all his willingness and zeal... Sundays have always been... Call it the Sabbath or whatever you like... (designed to ensure) the previous week was declared null and void."

-- Gunter Grass' 'The Rat'


Yes... It's true. I'm light years away from hankering after a working week.

Bring on student life, come 2008! And bring on social liberalism, too. :)

No comments: