Friday, August 17, 2007

Unexpected Indulgences, Courtesy of Typhoon Sephat

I'd quickly thought I'd mention that we are in fact bracing for our first typhoon here in Taipei this evening. We didn't think it too serious until I saw some CNN footage of the typhoon reaching Manila yesterday - wow, it just looks insane! So the rain has just begun and while I'm a little nervous, our friends and colleagues assure us that there's nothing to be worried about - rather, the opposite. We get an unexpected holiday! The subway is still running which apparently is a key sign as to the seriousness of the typhoon.

Our classes have been canceled this evening and tomorrow which I must say, couldn't come at a better time! Simon and I haven't had anything less than a solid 6-day week for going on three months now. Tomorrow, some blackouts are expected but won't last longer than 24 hours. Plus, I can't think of anything better than some time to snuggle under with a good book. So we've stocked up on Philly, Australian wine and cheese, basil, fresh fruit, water, candles and ice-cream. There's nothing like a bit of unexpected indulgence! :)

We'll take some photos and let you know how it all goes.

No comments: