Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Washing Up and CNN on a lazy afternoon

There comes a point when your body says.. enough is enough.

This afternoon, on my way to work (after a long morning of apathetic, resentful 16 year olds), my body decided it was the time to behave irrationally and squeal at the ongoing maltreatment I've been bestowing upon it. I found that I just did not have it in me to travel onwards to my next class; the first time since we've arrived, I honestly couldn't do it. The gig was up, and I knew it.

Another sigh; honestly, I'm so awful at knowing when to stop, and calling it a day. God knows that that weakness pushed me through five years of hospitality (I swear, never again). So too did it get us the muhlah to get to this great city. So it's not all bad, that's for sure. That said, I couldn't concentrate for how awful - physically overwhelmed and emotionally overburdened - I felt. The slow trundle home was the worst I've felt in a long while.

It's no surprise, really. You know things are totally unbalanced when you feel physically sick at the thought of the next day's undertaking.

So I'm here now; having cleaned our bathroom and washed our week's worth of shirts, I can feel my body resonate to the sounds of sweet domestic bliss. What's an amazing apartment if you have no time to spend in it?

Thank godness for my other half, honestly. I'm so immensely grateful for the solid foundation that is my relationship with Sim. We often try hard to find the time for each other during the hectic day; we had a lovely (if brief) lunch together today at a local vegetarian buffet. Honestly, these work hours do nothing for maintaining healthy and happy coupledom; thank godness for him, and us.

I just finished watching the Youtube Democratic Party Candidate Debate on CNN. For how utterly pathetic CNN's coverage is of world news: "And in today's news... Civilian deaths... And Tom Cruise steps out in style!" the debate was fascinating stuff. CNN covers a fair bit on what they have label 'citizen journalism' - consistently making calls for people to send in scoops and photos, typifying Murdoch's investment in that area. I've not felt in the past that this has been a legitimate attempt to diversify accountability, but rather, to monopolise on this area that will inevitably develop much further in the future. However, today's debate did seem to convey the passion for genuine change, transparency and accountability on behalf of American citizens towards their public officials. This felt like the greatest reason for optimism I've felt towards American politics over the entire course of my interest in this area; really, since 9/11.

A few qualms, however. Firstly, the focus was clearly on Obama and Hilary, which delinated from the impressive performances of the other candidates; particularly Chris Dodd, Dennis Kucinich and Bill Richardson, whose passion and expertise were quite striking. It's an impressive line-up of "diversified leadership in unity," I must say; something all too missing from, say, the ALP frontbench!

Most evident, though, was the total lack of political expertise on part of the CNN host, Anderson Cooper. From what I can tell he's somewhat the 'poster-boy' of CNN coverage (a bit like Andrew whatsis from Channel 7 - the 'Deal or No Deal' guy?) and was clearly chosen for the job of debate host for that reason. Ultimately, I can't believe that there's genuine support for a citizen's right to public accountability on behalf of the media giant when they can't see the worth in providing a mediator with a little more political grit. The guy is so clearly unaware of major areas of contention; such as, for example, how the candidates have actually voted in the Senate/Congress on major issues that they spouting off about. While each candiate was kept to time, and kept on question - as critical to a politician as a musician staying on key - you can't distract from how critical a contribution political commentators make towards genuine public accountability.

Just some thoughts. x L

No comments: